Pages

Tuesday 14 February 2012

Valentine Tutorial


Materials List:ProMarkers -Burnt Orange, Coral, Walnut, Cocoa, Cinnamon, Burgundy, Crimson, Poppy
FlexMarkers –  Sunkissed Pink, Blush, Black, Dolphin Blue, Light Fawn
Valentines digi stamp from Saturated Canary
Ultra-fine nibsDiamond White from The Papeterie, Annie Sloan Paint, Heart Shaped Chocolate Box, Victorian Velvet Distress Ink, Kaisercraft grunge texture stamp, grosgrain ribbon, double sided tape.



Step 1

To begin with I have printed my digital stamp (Making Valentines from Saturated Canary)  onto smooth white cardstock (Diamond White from The Papeterie).
I will be using Burnt Orange and Coral promarkers and Sunkissed Pink and Blush Flexmarkers for the skin.



Step 2

The first colour I use is Burnt Orange (with an ultra fine nib fitted).
This looks very dark – but it is toned down with the blending as we go along – it gives the skin a nice healthy glow.
I’ve very lightly coloured underneath the hairline around the top and sides of the face.


Step 3

Using the bullet nib of the Coral Promarker I have coloured over the Burnt Orange areas then moved slightly further out into the white areas of the face.
I use small circular strokes and by colouring over the darker shade, I’m blending as I go.



Step 4
Repeat the last step using the Sunkissed Pink Flexmarker (you can use the Promarker instead), again colouring over the already coloured areas and slightly further into the white area of the face.
I have also made a few light strokes to accentuate the contours of her face e.g. her nose.
Remember to be a little lighter-handed with the Flexmarkers as they are slightly juicier than the Promarkers.


Step 5

And to finish off her face I have coloured over the Sunkissed Pink area and the remaining white areas with the Blush flexmarker (again you can use the promarker instead).
It does look a little dark, but as you can see from the later pictures it dries lighter.



Step 6

For her hair I will be using Black Flexmarker, Walnut,Cocoa and Cinnamon Promarkers (all with ultra fine nibs fitted).
Firstly I use the Black flexmarker and lightly lay down a little colour at the centre parting.



Step 7

Next I used the Walnut promarker with the ultra fine nib fitted to make light wispy strokes over and outwards from the parting and inwards from each side.
I find the quicker I do this, the more random the lines are – for a more natural effect.



Step 8

Repeat this process with the Cocoa Promarker with ultra fine nib fitted, moving further into the uncoloured area of the hair.





Step 9

Then colour, lightly over the whole hair area with the Cinnamon Promarker (bullet nib).
You can repeat the steps with the Walnut and Cocoa Promarkers if you think the hair needs more depth or definition.



Step 10

Next I have coloured the rest of her hair, her eyes (using Walnut, Cocoa and Cinnamon Promarkers with the ultra fine nibs attached).
I coloured her lips with Coral and Burnt Orange Promarkers (with ultra fine nib attachments) leaving a tiny bit uncoloured in the middle as a highlight.


Step 11

I used the bullet nib of the Walnut Promarker to colour the areas of her trousers that I imagined would be in shadow (if the light is coming from the front left).




 
Step 12


Then I coloured over the Walnut and further out into the white area in small circles with the Cocoa Promarker.





Step 13


And repeat this step with the Cinnamon promarker, colouring over everything to blend.





Step 14

I decided to leave her t-shirt white, and added a little shading with the Dolphin Blue Flexmarker to the right hand edges of her sleeves and body.





Step 15

I then used Burgundy, Crimson and Poppy Promarkers with the ultra fine nib attachments to colour the details e.g. the patch on her trousers, the crayons and hearts.





Step 16

                                                                                   
And lastly a very simple way to “ground” the character I used Cocoa Promarker with the ultra fine nib to make some sweeping random lines, then coloured over the top with Light Fawn Flexmarker.


Finishing Touches

I painted an empty heart-shaped chocolate box with Annie Sloan paint (you could also use acrylic paint or cover with paper) then stamped with Victorian Velvet Distress Ink and a Kaisercraft grunge texture stamp. Then stuck a burgundy grosgrain ribbon around the side with double sided tape.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome tutorial! The box looks amazing and your colouring is wonderful! I've spent a couple hours looking through your tutorials, and have ordered a bunch of ultra fine nibs from Letraset. Thank you for all these tutorials and colouringtips! Much appreciated :)

    ReplyDelete