Pages

Wednesday 13 June 2012

Aquamarker Tags


As much as I love my Promarkers and Flexmarkers - there are some things that they just can’t do – and this is where the Aquamarkers come in ready to try out a whole host of different crafting techniques.
I decided not to use the Aquamarkers for traditional water-colouring, I thought I’d try to show a few quick and easy techniques that you can use on cards, tags, altered art projects etc.



Materials List:
  • Letraset Aquamarkers: Mediterranean, Sunburst Yellow, Fern Green, Flame Red, Gold Ochre, Mahogany, Puce, Cranberry, Royal Purple, Storm Blue
  • Letraset Metallic Marker: Silver
  • Embossing Ink pad and Clear embossing powder
  • Tim Holtz “Attic Treasures” stamp set
  • Tim Holtz “Mini Papers Rosettes” die
  • white card
  • seam binding
  • buttons and rose cabouchon, foam adhesive letters
stamped tag
I stamped my background stamp with embossing ink onto a plain white tag, then covered with clear embossing powder

embossed tag
I then used a heat tool to melt the embossing powder so that it appears glossy…

scribble
Next up, I took 2 Aquamarkers - Mediterranean and Sunburst Yellow - and scribbled with the large nib onto a non-stick craft sheet. I also added a wee bit of Silver Metallic Marker.

spritz
Then I spritzed the colour with water to make it a bit more dilute and fluid.

swirled
I placed the tag face down onto the colour and swished it around to make sure the whole tag was coloured, which also further blends the colours. You can also just press the tag down onto the colour and lift it straight up for a different effect. I used a heat tool to dry the tag, but you can also just leave it to dry naturally.

dark
As you can see, the embossed areas resist the colour, so it remains white. Next I used a Fern Green Aquamarker to ink up the same background stamp and stamped directly onto the tag, overlapping the embossed area.

binding
I wanted all my trims and embellishments to match the colours I used on the tag, so I scribbled some more of the Mediterranean and Sunburst Yellow Aquamarkers onto the non-stick craft sheet, spritzed it with water, then swirled around some seam binding and dried it with a heat tool.

ruffle
I attached a strip of double-sided tape near the bottom of the tag and stuck a length of the seam binding to it, ruffling it as I went. Then, I used the remainder of the seam binding to tie onto the the top of the tag.

dad
I die cut some rosette strips from white card, coloured these in the same way I coloured the tag and then attached them to the tag with a button. And as Fathers Day is coming up this weekend I added the word DAD in foam adhesive letters

detail1detail2detail3detail4
Here are some close-ups of the details.

3tags
I made another couple of tags using the same techniques but different colours
I hope you’ve been inspired to have a go at these easy techniques – we’d love to see how you get on

No comments:

Post a Comment